Newsgroup / Mail List Etiquette
Use PrintingForLess to quickly create custom business cards online!
- Lurk before posting to a newsgroup or mail list.
- Lurking is reading messages anonymously without posting.
- Take a little time to get the feel of the group. This helps
you to get an understanding of what is acceptable or unacceptable to the
- Look for an FAQ (Frequently Asked
- Many Newsgroup FAQs are posted monthly on the news.answers
- Mail list owners are usually willing to mail you the FAQ for the list.
- Be careful what you say.
- Newsgroups and mail list can have a large audience.
- Newsgroups are frequently archived. Your message could be around for a
very long time.
- Don't ramble or wander off topic.
- Don't point out grammatical errors.
- Don't respond to a post with "Me too", "Ditto" or
"I don't know".
- Don't post advertisement to a discussion group.
- Be careful who you reply to
- Check the "To:", "Cc:" and "Bcc:" lines in your message before you send
- Private responses should not be posted to the list.
- Refrain from cross-posting your newsgroup message.
- Cross-posting is sending the same message to more than one newsgroup. This is typically something that spammers do. Do not reply to their
- Do not respond to flames and insulting posts
- Flames are inflammatory messages.
- Post test postings in test groups.
- Never post tests to a non-test newsgroup.